Sign up for news
What is a porn culture?
Are you ever concerned that mass media reduce women, and increasingly girls, to sexual objects while encouraging men and boys to be sexually callous?
While mainstream pop culture grows increasingly pornographic, the pornography industry produces hardcore material that is both more overtly cruel toward women and more widely accepted than ever. Have you ever tried to talk about this issue, only to be told that you’re a prude, or that pornography is liberating?
What will happen now that the first generation of men raised on Internet porn is making its way into adulthood?
You aren’t alone. Stop Porn Culture is a group for those willing to ask these questions – women and men, activists and academics, young people and parents, organizers and ordinary people. The pornography industry has pushed its way into our lives, distorting our conceptions of sex and sexuality.
Studies show that after viewing pornography, men are more likely to…
- report decreased empathy for rape victims
- report believing that a woman who dresses provocatively deserves to be raped
- report anger at women who flirt but then refuse to have sex
- report decreased sexual interest in their girlfriends or wives
- report increased interest in coercing partners into unwanted sex acts